Here in the Diocese of Austin we are blessed to have so many prospering and fruitful college campus ministries serving our the Catholic college students in our diocese stretching from Waco to College Station to San Marcos. It is the Catholic campus ministry in San Marcos that recently celebrated a big milestone in their history!
The H.L. Grant Catholic Student Center and St. Jude Chapel was established as a Catholic Parish with a new name, Our Lady of Wisdom University Parish. Bishop Joe Vasquez of the Diocese of Austin celebrated the dedication Mass on Saturday, February 16, 2013.
Since 1970 faithful Catholics have gathered to celebrate Mass as a University community. Recognizing it’s stability and growth the Catholic Church has designated this community as a personal parish which includes the students, faculty, staff, and its supporters and Fr. Brian Eilers as the founding pastor.
This Catholic Ministry has been a service to Texas State University since 1915 with the founding of the Newman Club. The community grew and added Sunday Masses in 1970 and then expanded again in 1993 when the H.L. Grant Catholic Student Center was built. Being established as a parish recognizes the growth of Texas State University and the requisite need for a University parish. Approximately 20-25% of Texas State students are Catholic and our hope is that those students become a part of our new parish community.
Congrats all you Bobcat Catholics! Can’t wait to hear about more of the great things happening down in San Marcos!