I had the opportunity to interview Ignatius Press, author Dr. Christopher Kaczor by email through the Maximus Group this week. His new book is called The Seven Big Myths about the Catholic Church. The book has been released today, Wednesday, September 26.
The book is very well written and describes in detail the seven biggest misunderstandings about the Catholic Church, the chapters are written as such:
- The Church Opposes Science: The Myth of Catholic Irrationality,
- The Church Opposes Freedom and Happiness: The Myth of Catholic Indifference to Earthly Welfare,
- The Church Hates Women: The Myth of Catholic Misogyny
- Indifferent to Love, the Church Banned Contraception: The Myth of Opposition between Love and Procreation,
- The Church Hates Gays: The Myth of Catholic “Homophobia” and Inaction against AIDS/HIV,
- The Church Opposes Same-Sex Marriage Because of Bigotry: The Myth That There Is No Rational Basis for Limiting Marriage to One Man and One Woman,
- Priestly Celibacy Caused the Crisis of Sexual Abuse of Minors: The Myth of Priestly Pedophilia.
Sound interesting? Honestly, I hadn’t known how to answer those myths/misunderstandings of the Church until a few years ago, and I could be better. This book will help anyone to learn the seven myths better and to explain more concisely to anyone. Many of us may know what it feels like to be asked a question about Catholicism and not know how to answer, especially with today’s attack on religious freedom. It’s essential for every Catholic to have the ability to dialogue about our faith.
The questions below are Dr. Kaczor’s responses to the questions I asked.
If you are still deciding if you should purchase the book, the following reviews have been shared by The Maximus Group from a few big name Catholics.
“Christopher Kaczor is one of our finest young Catholic philosophers. In THE SEVEN BIG MYTHS ABOUT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, he shows that he is also one of our finest defenders of the Catholic faith. This is essential reading for the new evangelization.”
– Most Rev. José H. Gomez, Archbishop of Los Angeles
“Every seminary, every RCIA program, every parish effort in continuing education should make THE SEVEN BIG MYTHS ABOUT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH required reading.”
-Fr. Ronald K. Tacelli, S.J., author of Handbook of Catholic Apologetics
“The chapter on contraception is the most simple, commonsensical, winsome and persuasive I have ever seen. It could have been written only by a very good and wise husband and father. The chapter on same-sex marriage has the clearest and the completest logic I have ever read on the subject.”
-Dr. Peter Kreeft of Boston College
View he book’s website on Ignatius Press http://www.ignatius.com/promotions/sevenbigmyths/