Feedback from last weeks show:
Segment #1 – Current Events – Chris
Don’t know if you’ve heard about this new web series on Hulu called “The Confession,” starring Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt. Here is a description from Entertainment Weekly article (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/28/hulu-debuts-kiefer-sutherland-drama-video/):
- Hulu today debuted the first installment of The Confession, 10 five-to-seven-minute webisodes that feature the actor as a hitman who has a theological discussion with a priest (John Hurt of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) about why his victims deserved to die.
Production values are top notch in the first webisode, in which Sutherland’s character — no less intense than Jack Bauer – enters a Catholic church confessional and begins, “bless me father for I have sinned exceedingly….” Oof. Apparently, it’s been 35 years since his last confession.
President Obama makes the case for US involvement in Libya
- On Monday, March 28 – President Obama took to the airwaves to discuss the US involvement in Libya.
Moammar Gadhafi responded to a democratic uprising in the nation with brute force which has resulted in the death of many rebels and civilians alike. Here’s how President Obama described Gadhafi’s violent response, and his response.:
Innocent people were targeted for killing. Hospitals and ambulances were attacked. Journalists were arrested, sexually assaulted, and killed. Supplies of food and fuel were choked off. Water for hundreds of thousands of people in Misurata was shut off. Cities and towns were shelled, mosques were destroyed, and apartment buildings reduced to rubble. Military jets and helicopter gunships were unleashed upon people who had no means to defend themselves against assaults from the air.
Qaddafi declared he would show “no mercy” to his own people. He compared them to rats, and threatened to go door to door to inflict punishment. In the past, we have seen him hang civilians in the streets, and kill over a thousand people in a single day. Now we saw regime forces on the outskirts of the city. We knew that if we wanted — if we waited one more day, Benghazi, a city nearly the size of Charlotte, could suffer a massacre that would have reverberated across the region and stained the conscience of the world.
President Obama has been widely criticized for involving US troops and military resources, especially considering the great cost of doing so. My question for the show: what do you think the United State’s response should be the face of genocide, or a ruler violently oppressing and lashing out against their own people? Do we have a moral obligation to get involved? Does our involvement continue the cycle of violence?
Discussion on the church’s position on a “Just War doctrine” from CCC 2309
- the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain.
all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
there must be serious prospects for success;
the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated.
Follow up to Father Corapi story from last week:
- Excerpts of statements by Bobbi Ruffatto, CEO of Santa Cruz Media.
Santa Cruz Media, Inc. is the owner of all of Fr. John Corapi’s intellectual property and the DVDs, CDs, and books that flow from it.
- We fully support Rev. John Corapi in this terrible trial, not surprisingly having begun on Ash Wednesday. Through the sacrifice and struggle of the desert and all of the dark moments that this entails, we are confident that the glory of the risen Lord will shine forth from the power of the Resurrection and Easter.
- There is no evidence at this time that Fr. Corapi did anything wrong, only the unsubstantiated rant of a former employee, who, after losing her job with this office, physically assaulted me and another employee and promised to “destroy” Father Corapi. We all continue to pray for this person, and we ask you to do the same.
- We sincerely believe that the work Fr. Corapi has done is of greatest value to the Church, hence hated by the devil. We fully intend to make Fr. Corapi’s material available as a service to the Church and the world for as long as we possibly can.
- Father Corapi and all of us here at Santa Cruz Media, Inc. greatly appreciate your kindness, support, and prayers. Please continue to pray for Father Corapi and his accuser, as well as all priests who find themselves in this unfortunate situation.
- Sincerely yours in Christ,
Bobbi Ruffatto Vice President of Operations Santa Cruz Media, Inc.
Segment #2 – Church News – Jason
- Follow up to Maronite discussion – http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09683c.htm
- SATANISM SCHOLAR NOTES PRIEST SHORTAGE
- CARTOONIST MAKES POPE A “MANGA HERO” FOR WYD
- April Theology on Tap: Ask the Vicar General
- La Feria, 2010 S. Lamar, Austin, TX
- St. Margaret Mary Parish in Cedar Park will host its sixth annual Golf Tournament April 7 at 1 p.m. at Avery Ranch Golf Club in Northwest Austin. The entry fee is $100 per player. There will be a $10,000 Hole-In-One with the remaining Par-3 Holes also having a Hole-In-One prize. Trophies will be given for first, second and third place teams. A beef and chicken fajita dinner will be served after the tournament. For more information, contact John Hicks at (512) 657-3234 or email@example.com.
Segment #3 – Wildcard – Cristina
- Arizona just passed an interesting law, Doctor’s and medical professionals can face felony charges basing abortions by gender and race. No other law exists in the U.S. While this law prevents more abortions from happening, this law is difficult to prove. What are your thoughts?
- Is it ever ok to have botox done? A Mother is encouraging her 8 year old daughter to have botox. I fear she is damaging her daughter psychologically. There are a lot of influences in society that tell us we are not perfect. I am no parent but what do you think, being Catholic father’s?
- An 8 year old given botox from Mother
- The dog walking/ pet-sitting business is booming since the downfall of the economy! Ever considered Chicken-sitting or buying your own chickens? Now is your opportunity to open your chicken-sitting business. Purchasing chicken’s have become more common this decade. Would you ever consider purchasing chickens or opening a chicken-sitting business?
- Considered chicken-sitting?