Segment #1 – Current Events – Jason
- U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced Feb. 23 that the administration now believes the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act – which defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman and denies marital benefits to homosexual partnerships – is unconstitutional because it discriminates against homosexuals.
- The law says that the federal government only recognizes unions of one man and one woman as “marriages,” and will not provide benefits to same-sex couples in civil partnerships. It also established that U.S. states are not obliged to recognize same-sex “marriages” contracted in other states that recognize those unions.
- Read more: http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2708#ixzz1FPaI1gt5
- Oscars – http://oscar.go.com/
- Westboro Baptist Church has right to protest at military funerals. http://topics.cnn.com/topics/westboro_baptist_church?hpt=htopic
Segment #2 – Church News – Cristina
- Ash Wednesday- March 9, at your local Catholic Church – Not a Holy day of Obligation, recommended to attend.
- 40 Days for Life begins March 9th, join Austin Coalition of Life- power of prayer.
- Men’s Discernment Dinner- “Discipleship Never Tasted So Good!” Thursday, March 10th at 7:00pm located in the Borromeo House.
- “Today we are called to discover, in the digital culture, too, symbols and metaphors that are meaningful to people, that can be helpful in talking to modern men and women about the kingdom of God,” he said Feb 28th. http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1100805.htm
- Pope Benedict XVI: Believers Should Contribute to Digital Culture
Segment #3 – Wildcard – Chris
- The iPad 2 will go on sale on March 11 and, in the announcement, Steve Jobs said that more than 100 million books had been purchased through iBooks.
- Just under a week to go before Ash Wednesday, what have you decided what sacrifices you’ll be making for lent?
- This week, students at Giles High School in Virginia protested the removal of the Ten Commandments from their school by posting paper copies of them on their lockers.
- Just over a week ago, Hollywood’s stars came out for the Annual Academy Awards, with The King’s Speech beating out nine other films for the title of Best Picture, was “Toy Story 3” robbed?
- “Rango” starring Johnny Depp as the titular lizard movie review.