Angels are one of my favorite topics, and I have been giving various presentations on angelology for the last 5 years. People are often surprised by how much they didn’t know about their angel. I have taken a short segment of some of those presentations and put it in audio format to share in honor of our Holy Guardian Angels.
I also created an infographic explaining the 9 Choirs of Angels»
Angelology – the Study of Angels
4 Questions about Angels and Heaven
- Definition – What is it?
- Contents – What is it made of?
- Source – Where did it come from?
- Purpose – What is it good for?
How do we know?
- Jesus Told Us
- Sacred Scripture – 196 References in the Bible (103 in the OT and 93 in the NT)
- The Saints – Pseudo-Dionysius, St Thomas Aquinas (Angelic Doctor), St Bonaventure (Seraphic Doctor), St Gregory the Great,
- Human Experiences across cultures and time
Not all pf this is explicitly spelled out as Church teaching, but fairly agreed upon by theologians.
What are angels?
- Angels were never human, they are higher
- Free and intelligent creatures
- Angels have an intellect and a will
- Angels are entrusted with guarding the human race – protection and vigilance
- They can only prompt, not control people
What are angels made of?
Outside of Time & Space
- Angels don’t have bodies
- They don’t have a gender
- They are their own species
- They don’t learn like we do
- They speak through will, not language
- Angels are incapable of suffering or knowing death like us
3 Instances of Angels
- Instantaneous act of knowing their task
- Angels make their choice
- He sees the beatific vision or is damned
Choirs of Angels
What are Angels good for?
Angels function for Illumination and Protection
Devotion to the Holy Angels
They communicate mainly through images or memories instead of direct knowledge.
- Angels bring humility and virtue
- Reveal your faults and weaknesses
- Help you remember important things
- Help forget/suppress memories
- Inspire you
Four-Fold Service of Angels
12 Quick Facts about your Angel
- Angels are real – even if you don’t like it.
- Angels are present and know you better than anyone.
- Angels are not cute, chubby, little babies with wings.
- Angels are powerful and capable of performing miracles.
- They are more brilliant than any human mind in history.
- They can literally move the heavens and the earth.
- Demons are real – so are exorcisms. Angels protect you.
- You really do have your own guardian angel.
- You can communicate with your angel always.
- Angels usually come disguised, and interact with us in our lives.
- We are at war, and the angels are on our side. We know which side wins.
- We are the weaker beings that are protected by the angels
- We get to spend eternity with our angels in heaven
- We will have transformed bodies after death
- Our same bodies will be resurrected at the end of time
- We will see everything the saints and angels did in our lives
Sources: St Gregory the Great, St Thomas Aquinas, Peter Kreeft, Pseudo-Dionysius, Sacred Scripture, Jewish Tradition and Kabbalah
Work of the Holy Angels (Opus Sanctorum Angelorum) – The authority on angels