Jessica over at Catholic Cuisine has some delightfully delicious ideas. Check out her avacodo soup recipe for the feast day of Saints Peter & Paul!
I’ve reformatted the recipe below to make it easier for you to print.
Saints Peter and Paul Avocado Soup
Adapted from The Monastery Garden Cookbook.
- 3 leeks, white parts only, trimmed and sliced
- 3 avocados, peeled and sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon rind as garnish
- Place the leeks in a saucepan, cover with 6 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat to medium-low and cook leeks for 15-20 minutes.
- Next, remove pan from heat, allow to cool slightly, and then whirl leeks and water in a blender or food processor. Pour the mixture back into the pan or a large bowl.
Pro Tip: If you’d like to use some of the lemon rind as a garnish, it is probably a good idea to peel the lemon before juicing it for your soup
- Now, place the avocados, lemon juice, sour cream paprika, and salt and pepper in the blender or food processor and whirl for about 1 minute.
- Add to the leek mixture and blend all the ingredients well by hand. Then, place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve cold and add some lemon rind on the top of each serving as garnish.
Still hungry? Try these adorable Keys of Saint Peter and “Spiritus Gladius” cupcakes!
Celebrating Feasts with Faith and Style
Feast days should focus on God, family, and food. Theme recipes are a great way to celebrate your faith and evangelize in a nonconfrontational, fun way. Coworkers will love these treats! They make great conversation starters. Often, the quickest way to reach someone’s soul is through their stomach.
Bless us, O Lord, and these, Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen!
Looking for more exquisite faith-filled cuisine? Consider nabbing a copy of the humorous The Bad Catholic’s Guide to Good Living: A Loving Look at the Lighter Side of Catholic Faith, with Recipes for Feasts and Fun. You won’t be disappointed!